10/24/2016

リレーエッセイ I ♥ Toastmasters  "Why I joined Toastmasters"


To me, “Why did you join Toastmasters?” is a very interesting question which everyone answers differently. Many people join Toastmasters to become better speakers of English, but as someone who speaks English as a first language, I find myself excluded from this group. I would say that while I am a native speaker of English, I am not a native speaker of public speaking.

Giving speeches is like learning a completely different language. There are rules and structures that you must abide by when giving a speech that in daily conversation come off as just awkward or presumptuous. So first and foremost, I joined Toastmasters to try to become fluent at public speaking. After 3 years, I am still not quite there yet, but I continue growing as a speaker which is something that drives me to keep pushing myself to be better.

Secondly, I love creative writing, and strangely enough giving speeches presents me with this opportunity. When you give a speech, you should be excited and looking forward to people hearing what you have to say. Therefore, it is important to make a speech that is both personal and personalized that allows you to share an experience with your audience. If you give a speech that is dry and boring, it won`t be a good speech.

Lastly and most importantly, I joined Toastmasters to rid myself of my phobia of speaking in front of an audience. Ever since I was young, speaking in front of an audience, big or small, made me nervous. I would start fidgeting, stuttering and even sweating profusely as I tried to get my nerves under control. While I am still not an expert in this department, I have gotten better at it with each speech I give in Toastmasters.

That concludes my story. One of many that started by answering the simple question “Why Toastmasters?”So what are you waiting for? Ask yourself the question “Why Toastmasters?” and see where it takes you.
(Jeffery Wong)
-------
 I nominate TM Kunisawa to write next.